The Everett family began homeschooling in 1982 while living in the Middle East where basic materials and English resources were difficult to find. Through this experience, Michele learned that “homeschooling doesn’t have to cost a lot to be effective.” When the family moved back to the United States in 1986, they continued homeschooling, although at the time they didn’t know anyone else who homeschooled. Eventually Michele found other LDS homeschoolers in her area and served as the leader of her local support group for 14 years. She has organized homeschooling seminars and conferences, and moderates a statewide email support group, a news list, and copywork list.
Michele is the creator and designer of the LDS Homeschooling in California website which began in 1999 as a way for LDS homeschoolers to find each other. Over the years, her website has grown into a general resource for homeschoolers, and lists many free resources useful for anyhomeschooling family.
Michele grew up in Chicago and joined the church as a teenager. She married her husband, Ken (now deceased), in the Salt Lake City temple. Together they have three grown children.
Michele currently teaches early morning seminary in Southern California where she enjoys the museums, the concerts, the shopping, the beach, the freeways, Disneyland , and of course, the weather. Her hobbies include listening to audio books, traveling, and counted cross-stitch. Michele serves as the webmaster of the National LDS Homeschool Association.
Articles by Michele
- Webmaster Farewell
- You Can Teach Your Child to Read
- Should I Send My Child to Preschool?
- Columbus Day, Observed
- Empty Desk Syndrome
- Making Connections
- Start a State Email Group
- Homeschooling During a Family Health Crisis
- Homeschooling Teens
- The Sterling W. Sill Plan for Homeschooling
- Leadership Takes Time (but not all of it)
- A Clutter-Free Christmas that Lasts
- Constitution Saved!
- Too Young for Great Art?
- Ten Rules for Taking Field Trips
- Do I Need a Homeschool Support Group?
- Whom the Lord Calls, the Lord Qualifies
- How Do I Start a Support Group?
- Audio Learning
- The Dreaded S-word: Socialization
- A Classic Comes Online
- Great Brain Projects
- Membership has its Rewards
- Support Group Yearbooks
- The Value of Local Support Groups
- Educating for Zion