It’s time again for another tool in the “I’m-Not-a-Morning-Person-Toolkit!” I love the following recipe because it is hearty and wholesome but can be mostly made ahead, saving me time in the morning. My kids love it because it’s tasty.
"Pancakes from the Pantry" (originally from Margaret Scoresby in Mount Vernon, OH)
- 4 cups quick cooking oats
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 cup dry milk
- 3 tablespoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon
- 5 teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon cream of tartar
Combine all ingredients together, mixing well. Store dry mix in an airtight container or quart-sized canning jars.
When ready to use the dry mix, add the following in a large mixing bowl:
- 2 eggs, beat well
- 1/3 cup oil, gradually beating in
- 1 cup water, added alternately with 2 cups of dry mix
Blend well. Cook pancakes on a lightly oiled griddle. Makes 10 pancakes.