What people like-
- SOS is computer-based (CD-ROM) learning, designed for this generation.
- Covers all base subjects plus a wide offering of electives (see website for list).
- Can pick and choose which subjects to buy or purchase the whole set.
- Parents can track their child’s progress.
- Student’s work is automatically graded.
- Student can work independently.
- Most users feel the cost is less expensive compared to similar programs.
- SOS is reusable.
- Children enjoy the games.
What people don’t like-
- SOS is not a creative curriculum. There is less hands-on learning.
- May not work well for a large family unless there is access to more than one computer.
- Student should first know how to type. This might be tricky for younger students.
- Sometimes correct answers are marked wrong because of how they are written by the student.
- The graphics are not the best.
- The CD's can get scratched.
- Some children might find SOS boring and repetitive.
- Can buy directly from the publisher’s website, but also from Christianbook.com
- SOS requires initial set up and installation.
- Consider buying last year's version (check EBay) which will be the same program at a lower cost to you. Just make sure the installation disk is included.
- SOS does not support every system. Make sure you check system requirements before you buy.
Alpha Omega also offers an online program called, Monarch, which has a subscription fee, but requires no set up. https://www.aop.com/curriculum/shop-monarch
Liahona Academy offers LDS distance learning via the computer (live-streaming or video classes). https://www.liahonaeducation.com/
Publisher/Website- Alpha Omega Publications/ https://www.aop.com/Curriculum/Switched-On-Schoolhouse
Summary from company- “Switched-On Schoolhouse is a comprehensive, Christian homeschool curriculum that offers computer-based learning for grades 3-12. With animation, video clips, and other fascinating multimedia, Switched-On Schoolhouse is the perfect Christian homeschool curriculum for today's generation. With this flexible, best-selling curriculum, you can customize student learning to fit individual educational needs.”