What people like-
- It's a simple, logical approach to teaching children how to read.
- Very affordable, at $34.95 for one, reusable book + a CD rom
- The book is spiral bound so it lays flat.
- There is an Amazon edition for the Kindle.
- Contains pre-reading exercises to familiarize children with the alphabet.
- Requires no parent/teacher preparation.
What people don’t like-
- The large calligraphy font doesn’t appeal to every parent.
- Check out the sample lessons on the website.
- Some parents add their own phonics flashcards to supplement Alpha-Phonics.
If you’d rather teach your child to read with a first-reader series, try Bob Books. http://bobbooks.com/
If you’d rather use a computer based phonics program, try Funnix. http://funnix.com/index.html
Author/Publisher/Website- Samuel L. Blumenfeld/The Paradigm Company/http://www.alphaphonics.com/
Summary from company- “Alpha-Phonics uses a phonogram approach. One vowel is presented at a time and reading skills are developed by studying all the possible word families of that vowel before moving to the next vowel. Alpha-Phonics provides extensive word lists and practice sentences to reinforce basic skills. As the pupil becomes more advanced, library books may be used for supplemental reading practice. While no separate readers are necessary, we do offer a set of readers which are closely coordinated to the material in the book itself.”
The Good & the Beautiful curriculum is designed to foster a true love of learning while teaching strong and advanced academics. The images and artwork, the exercises and assignments, and the literature used are all designed to connect children to the good and the beautiful: family, God, high moral character, and the wonders and beauty of nature and human life.
English Lessons Through Literature is a unique program which combines the gentleness of Charlotte Mason's methods with the thoroughness of classical methods.
Curriculum designed around "living books" and the Charlotte Mason philosophy. All online.
Sentence diagramming extraordinaire for middle grades and beyond.
A nontraditional and quick approach to language arts essentials in a fun story format.
Solid all inclusive grammar and english instruction with accompanying jingle CD for memorizing grammar definitions.
Tried and true Christian homeschool curriculum. Well-known for its effective language arts program.
Longtime used, inexpensive phonics and beginning reading curriculum.
Comprehensive spelling program for beginning readers to middle elementary.